Sunday, August 06, 2006

London 7/31

7/31/2006
London
I have had difficulty getting to an internet connection to post into my blog. So this is a little tardy.

I took the train in to London Monday morning. Nick met me at the station and Vladimir gave us a ride to the Joe Duntun Camera at Elstree Studios to the north of London. Our intension was to spend the morning there checking out lenses with the new camera. I supposed to have taken the train back Monday afternoon in time to have a nice cookout with the cast and crew that had arrived. That plan quickly went by the wayside as the morning turned into the whole day and the whole day turned into tomorrow morning and tomorrow morning turned into two whole days. I finally boarded the 6:30pm train back to Chippenham on Tuesday night.

I didn’t mind staying in London, except for the fact that I did not have *anything* with me. (I did end up buying a toothbrush.) Nick and I stayed at Gill’s uncle’s house and I was very comfortable despite having to put on the same clothes the next day.

Being at Elstree Studios was like being a kid in a candy shop. There is so much equipment there I can’t even begin to describe it.

Here is specialty camera that they were building there. The silvered glass plate allows half the light to pass through to one camera and half get reflected up to the other camera so that both cameras see the exact same view. By offsetting the two cameras by 40mm or so you create a 3D camera that approximates the two eyes of a person. Very cool!

This was just one of the lens sets that we were considering renting. I was told this lens set costs about $350,000 (with rental being much lower of course). Being that RHD is considered a “mico-budget” movie, that is a movie with a budget of less than one million dollars (insert maniacal Doctor evil laugh), we could not afford this set, much to Nick’s disappointment. (Actually, I think that RHD might be more accurately called a “nano-budget” movie).

Anyway I left London Tuesday evening with everything working. We rented three lenses and a bunch of equipment from Joe Dunton Camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home